Having owned the identical Norton Commando for about 30 years and having owned many others through the years and having modified lots of them. I really feel that I’ve one thing to supply all Commando house owners in the way in which of recommendation on modifications. I’ve gained plenty of expertise through the years and even spent a number of years constructing, repairing and restoring bikes of every kind. I nonetheless do not think about myself an knowledgeable although as I consider there may be at all times extra to study and others might have totally different experiences to myself with the identical factor.
So an inventory of essentially the most helpful mods however not in any specific order and that is solely my opinion, I’m certain some will disagree.
1. Entrance brake, I exploit a grimeca caliper on a floating disc however many different choices can be found and something is healthier than the usual. I do just like the look of the unique although and like it to a lot of the mods I’ve seen. I did handle to enhance the unique entrance brake by becoming stainless pistons, braided hose, a unique lever and eventually a unique grasp cylinder. You do now have the choice (a minimum of within the UK) of getting the unique grasp cyl. sleeved and a smaller piston fitted which I perceive helps. Evidently Norton acquired the ratio of grasp cyl. piston to caliper piston improper from the beginning.
2. 18″ WM3 rear wheel rim, primarily for the selection of tyres which may be very restricted with the unique 19″. It does are inclined to observe the traces within the highway a bit greater than normal particularly when the tyre is getting in direction of the top of it is life. I nonetheless handle to maintain up with most trendy machines on the twisty bits, however maybe that is simply the way in which I experience (normally quick).
3. Swinging arm, the later 850’s have cotter pins fitted to cease the pin shifting sideways and carrying out itself and the bushes. I fitted my very own years in the past by welding nuts on the again with pinch bots and the bushes and pin lasted for a few years. PUT OIL IN IT don’t use grease this can smash the oil lite bushes very quickly, I used to make use of an ep140 further heavy gear oil which helped maintain it in. Final time I had it aside I made a decision to make my very own mod. and have now fitted needle curler bearings that run in grease.
4. Entrance Forks, to maintain the entrance finish tight and enhance the damping I’ve fitted a damping equipment and strengthened the entrance mudguard keep to enhance stability. there are damping kits and fork braces out there nonetheless from suppliers. I additionally fitted a steering damper a couple of years again however have now eliminated it and located little distinction. I’ve excessive huge bars (export bonnie kind) and discover there may be loads of leverage to maintain issues pointing the place you wish to go.
5. Isolastics, a easy one this simply match the later MKIII adjustable kind and no extra shimming required.
6. Head regular, I’ve the unique fitted in the intervening time however I’m going to make myself one with bearings in it very quickly. These kind can be found out of your native pleasant Norton vendor!! effectively a few of them anyway. Or chances are you’ll go for the Norvil kind head regular of match the MKIII kind with the springs. This could assist with excessive velocity stability.
7. Shocks, I’ve used Koni adjustable shocks for a few years and in reality the identical pair have been on my 750cc for 25 years + with no indicators of leaking and set on the bottom damping setting the are nonetheless agency. (Girlings suck)
So there you’re, a couple of modifications that I personally have discovered improve my using expertise, I might be very to listen to your personal views on something Norton. Yow will discover me via my weblog website.